If you read this blog, I love reading comments - so please do:)!



Dec 23, 2009

First Coyote


So, Chase and I have been married for 5 years now and for any of you that know Chase, his obsession is hunting. He loves to hunt and anything to do with hunting. The problem is, if you go with Chase, you have to hunt the 'Chase' way. A.K.A in complete silence (no swishing of the snow pants, and NO squeeking of the boots on the snow), and once you are in position - absolutely NO movement allowed (okay, you are allowed to move your eyes and the rise and fall of your chest as you breath is allowed).:) I love to go with him even though the rules are strict. We have been hunting coyotes together ever since we started dating and I finally got my first one. (Chase has been a little trigger happy, but always apologizes for 'taking my shot'). Anyhow, this time he wasn't allowed to take a gun. We called (a little 'whistle' or call that sounds like a wounded rabbit that coyotes come to check out) at one place and waited for about half an hour, but nothing. Then we went to another place at the top of a hill and sat on a fence line and called again there. We sat back to back and could see the whole area around us. I was watching one area where I thought it was more likely for a coyote to come in from and didn't see one come in from another angle until it was in the wide open looking right at us. I tried to slowly reach for the gun and get turned around to shoot it but it started to run. Chase gave a little bark and it stopped, but it had gone behing the rise of a hill and only the tips of its ears and barely the eyes were showing over the hill. I found it in the scope and made the shot. As we were walking over, Chase said it was okay if I didn't make the shot, that it was a really hard shot. But, to his amazement, there was the coyote. He says it was the best shot he has ever seen anyone 'else' make:).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dustin and I laughed over this one...."hunting the Chase way" haha. You are such a "country girl" - there is NO WAY I would be holding a dead coyote for a photo shoot! Nice work! Janis

Sherri said...

I love your quote of the day. Actually Kiah's quote of the day.

missLaura said...

ummm, that is gross! But another talent to make note of. Naomi has a good shot, don't play paint ball with her!

Maja said...

You are seriously HARD CORE!!! Way to get the coyote - but still - the bloody stubs - EWWW!!